Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Low-Carb Chocolate "Ice Cream"

I'm trying really hard to behave, and I've found my weakness is ice cream. So... I'm faking myself out.

Popsicles are well and good, and fudgecicles are nice, but having a dish of ice cream is way better.

However, milk has carbs! Like, enough that you should drink a glass of it if you're having low blood sugar to help raise it.

Yes, there are dairy substitutes. Soy ice cream has made me weep in the past because it tasted like disappointment, and my husband and I stopped drinking soy anyway. Coconut milk is great, but it's saturated fatty. However, almond milk is pretty dope.

I've tried making ice cream from almond milk in the past - with real sugar even - but it turned into a brick. I knew I needed to add some stuff to make it creamy without packing in fat and carbs.

Gelatin was my first pick, but I wasn't confident enough in its abilities. Here's what I came up with.

3 1/2 cups almond milk
5 tbsp. cocoa
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup almond milk mixed with 2 tbls cornstarch
1/4 cup water mixed with 1 packet of gelatin
stevia to sweeten (I used about 20 packets)

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add the almond milk cornstarch mixture, whisking constantly. Allow to simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes until slightly thickened.

Keep an eye on it because it will want to boil over!

Add the gelatin mixture and whisk some more until everything is dissolved.

Refrigerate overnight.

The next day freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. My Cuisinart machine takes about 25 minutes.

8.25 grams of carbs per 1 cup serving!

I'm sure you could sub your favorite sugar substitute without problem, but your carbs may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment